1.  What's the best way to report a crime?

For emergencies call 911. For non-emergency crime or suspicious activity that you’d like to report, call the Taunton Police Department at 508-823-5000.

2. When do I have to submit a motor vehicle crash report to the Registry of Motor Vehicles?

If you are involved in a motor vehicle crash, and someone was injured or there was over $1000 of damage to either a vehicle or property, you are required to file a Motor Vehicle Crash Report to the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) with a copy to the police department in which the accident occurred. Accident reports must be filed within 5 days of the accident.

3.  How do I get a copy of a police report?

Check the Police Reports of this page of this website for complete information on police incident and accident reports. 

4. I Need To Renew My FID/LTC, How Do I Go About Doing That?

Check the firearms licensing page for complete information including some forms you will need to complete the renewal process. 

5.  I was questioned by the police.  Aren’t police required to read me my rights?

Many people believe that an officer must automatically read a person his or her Miranda rights as part of performing an arrest, either immediately before or immediately after an arrest is made. This is a myth,  the truth is that the only time an officer must read a person his or her Miranda rights is when: (1) the person has been taken into custody, and (2) the officer is about to question the person about the crime.

6.  How do I become a Taunton Police Officer?

The Taunton Police Department is a Civil Service Police Department. In order to become a police officer for the City of Taunton, you must follow the process outlined on the Human Resources Division Civil Service Massachusetts Human Resources Division Web Site

7.  I Need To See The Police Chief About Something, What Should I Do?

You can contact the Police Chief a few different ways:

  • By Dialing the Police Business Line at 508-821-1471 and leave a message for the chief

8.  Complaints - How do I contact the department to file a complaint against a Taunton Police Officer or Police Department Employee?

The normal procedure is to come in and speak with the Commanding Officer of the shift.  They will field your complaint and assist you in the matter.